Global Links

Geology Museum

Campus address:
Geology Hall
Campus:
College Avenue Campus (CAC)
U.S. mailing address:
85 Somerset Street, New Brunswick
Telephone number:
848-932-7243
Fax number:
732-932-1789
Web site address:
http://geologymuseum.rutgers.edu/
Director:
Lauren Neitzke Adamo and Patricia Irizarry-Barreto, Associate Directors
Contact:
Lauren Neitzke Adamo
Contact telephone number:
848-932-7243
Contact email address:
lneitzke@rci.rutgers.edu
Purpose of center:
The Rutgers Geology Museum was founded in 1872 by State Geologist George H. Cook to exhibit the many specimens collected by the New Jersey Geological Survey, which he directed. The building, originally known as the Geological Hall, was designed by Henry Janeway Hardenbergh, a Rutgers graduate and descendent of the university’s first president. Hardenbergh later earned fame as the architect of the Dakota Apartments and the Plaza Hotel. Dr. Cook, who taught chemistry and natural philosophy at Rutgers College, also founded the Rutgers Scientific School. Cook hoped the museum's instructional exhibits would cultivate the scientific interests of Rutgers students and the public.


To submit a comment or to report any problems with this site, please use the
Rutgers Web Site Feedback Form.
© 2014 Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. All rights reserved.